Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bye bye blockhead

We arrived home today to find that our house no longer looks like the block-headed younger sibling of our neighbours' homes. Work on the second-floor gabled roof has begun, which brings the house closer to its final shape. The guys have also started working on the third-floor flat roof, but that has proven to be more of a challenge than our builder anticipated. Flat roofs are never flat, and creating the slope requires Einstein's math skills and Gandhi's patience. But never fear, our intrepid builder is on the case.

The third floor will house our bedroom, a full bathroom, and a second bedroom. The hallway that links these rooms is curved, which also posed some problems for the crew since the doors are not (come on Rona, where are your curved doors?). The crew spent a lot of time on Monday working out various radiuses (radii?) that would still give us curved walls but wouldn't look odd with straight doors. They settled on an idea they thought would work, and John went up to check it out while I shuddered below with every step he took up the ladder. He said it looks really neat, and that's good enough for me. I'd like to live to enjoy our curved walls, so I stayed off the ladder.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So exciting! Madison and I think it looks great!

Lynnbot said...

It really changes the look of it! I like how your roof is not visually much higher than your neighbour's. Progress! Wouldn't curved doors be like crazy kitchen in there? Weird!

Lorie and John said...

Thanks, guys. The overhang isn't on yet, so it won't look exactly like that, but it's pretty close. I'm glad our roof isn't much higher than our neighbour's; at least not the one on the left. Without the gable it was starting to look very tall and boxy. Now it's starting to look normal!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

My husband and I live in the house with white siding kitty corner to yours. I think your house will look great and I liked reading the article in the New Ed.

I am usually waiting for the #3 so I am see all the daily progress.

I found your blog through fixmyhouse.ca...are you affiliated with them? I am researching contractors - how have they been to work with?

Marnie

Lorie and John said...

Hi Marnie,

Thanks very much for your message; it's very nice to hear from you. Our builder is Botan Construction, and they also go under the name Fix My House. We'd love to chat with you about our work with them to date. Here is my e-mail address; I'll only leave it up here until you drop me a line, and then I'll take it down: boucherlorie@hotmail.com.

Looking forward to talking with you,

Lorie (and John)

Anonymous said...

Interesting (and humourous) description of what goes into building a flat roof ;-) I have had a partial flat roof over a garage, and it was always a royal pain. It actually sloped the wrong way, which meant water always pooled. Ended up adding a drain where the water pooled, which was fine in the summer but not so good when the drain was frozen solid in winter and spring. I concluded that, unless it's constructed properly, a flat roof on a wood frame structure in Canada is just not a good idea. I hope you guys have better luck than I did!