Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Inside the second floor, part 1

We climbed up the ladder separating our first and second floors today and got our first look at what will soon be our kitchen, dining room and living room. John bravely lept from the ladder with no fear of getting back down, but I only made it halfway up, so my perspective wasn't as good. Two main things struck me overall: 1) It looks a lot smaller than I thought it would, but I was semi-prepared for that.
2) The windows in our house are a lot bigger than I thought they were. Well, I thought to myself, if you're going to live in a little space, it's very important to have good-sized windows, and lots of them.

The photo on the left is of the kitchen, which was our biggest surprise in terms of size. The window, however, should make it feel very open (it's above where our sink will go). That plank on the bottom right-hand corner is just a piece of wood, not a wall-to-be, so at least it isn't closed off from the rest of the living space.

The photo on the right is of the pantry and powder room. These are the only enclosed spaces on this floor. The pantry will hold all of our (my) jars of mustard, along with our stacked washer and dryer, and a laundry sink. The wee powder room will be decked out South American style, with one of our great Peruvian souvenirs for the wall (a wall-hang) and a hammered copper sink. It'll be little, but stylish, we hope.

No comments: