Monday, May 12, 2008

Jams, chutneys and pickles!

I was on a roll on Saturday and managed to make my way down the ladder to the basement while I was at it. John had already been down there once, and had told me about the crawlspace, but I had to see it to believe it. When the house was originally designed, we weren't sure how much of a crawlspace we were going to be able to get with all of the rock that would have to be removed for the basement. We thought it would literally be a "crawl" space, a spider-infested subterranean hollow with no more than four feet of head space or so. Not my kind of place at all. I had plans to send John down there to retrieve my little jars of homemade jam when I needed them.

It turns out that won't be necessary! The space is huge! It's about seven feet tall and almost four feet wide. Do you know how much jam a space like that could HOLD? Jams? Why limit it to jams? With a space like that, I can make chutneys, jellies, pickles, preserves, relish, and MUSTARDS! I can make soaps, salves, and bath products! I can have a whole store down there and make gift baskets as the need arises! Can you imagine it?! I can. Think of the possibilities!

1 comment:

Lynnbot said...

Secret hide out! Cooooool!
I'll be down there eating jam with my fingers. Try and stop meI